CHAPTER 1: SWEET SURRENDER
Before I
tell the tale of these sweet sisters, I must first tell how they ever came to
be. Truly, had it been solely up to my husband, Bryan, and me, they never would
have existed.
Just a few
years ago, Bryan and I were very content and happy with our three beautiful
children: Afton, Bennett, and Avonlea. We were past the napping and diaper-changing
stages of child rearing. We could travel. We could go on errands without having
to haul strollers and sippy cups and snacks. We could eat out in restaurants without
the hassle of high chairs and trying to order food that looked like it had
already been chewed. We were free from all that. Blissfully free.
But not
long after my 42nd birthday, God began to challenge me about our
family. He posed a very pointed question to me. He said,
“Why do you call me Lord and yet I am not Lord of your family? Why do you call me Lord and yet I am not Lord of your womb?”
I was
shocked by this question. I was utterly floored by it. The implications were
far reaching. Both Bryan and I had been in church all of our lives. I taught a
women’s Bible study at my church. We led a small group in our home. But there
was a major part of my life that I had never given to my heavenly Father. This
question cut to the deepest part of me. Every bit of it was true, and I knew it…
God had
never been Lord of my family, not in that way. I had planned out each of our
family’s expansions meticulously. For our second child, I had even calculated
the day that it was most advantageous to have a boy, since we already had our
girl. (Ahem.) And it worked! I was in control and I never bothered to ask God
whatt He thought. Thankfully, He liked my plan and seemed to agree with what I
wanted.
Soon after
giving birth to our 3rd child, I turned 39. We had two young ones in
diapers and I figured it was time to close up shop. It was time to move on from
that part of our lives. I didn’t pray about it, really. Why would I? Only strange
people had babies in their 40’s, or people who married very late in life and
didn’t already have young children. Bryan and I had been married for 15 years.
We had surpassed the national average in terms of offspring. We had our hands
full. It was time to move on.
And we did
move on… we were finally free.
But then
came those probing questions. Again and again.
“Why do you call me Lord and yet I am not Lord of your family? Why do you call me Lord and yet I am not Lord of your womb?”
Those questions hung in my spirit like a heavy fog that just
wouldn’t lift.
I’ve come
to realize that God doesn’t ask questions because He needs the answer. He asks
questions because we do. And the answer to His question was this this:
I didn’t really trust that God knew what was best for me. I didn’t believe that He knew what was best for my future. I’d never even asked Him what He wanted for our family, and yet I called Him Lord.
He wasn’t
really Lord then, was He? That broke my heart.
But as I
have come to learn with our loving Father, after
He convicts, He inspires. He doesn’t leave us in a broken state any longer
than He has to. I sensed that the Lord was dangling the most amazing carrot
before me, the most beautiful dream. He whispered to me in prayer,
“What if I wanted to do something powerful in your family through you, would you say ‘no’ to Me? What if I wanted to do something incredible in My kingdom through you, would you say ‘no’ to Me?”
How could I refuse? Why would I?
Still, through
the course of many months, I wrestled privately with the implications of this
surrender, of what it would mean for my husband, for my future, for my aging
body. This was no small thing. Seriously. Many of my friends were having
grandchildren, and I would be schooling my own kids until I was a senior
citizen. My kids would be applying for college while I was applying for social
security.
Finally, on
the way home from my 20-year college reunion, where we caught up with friends
who were preparing their children to go to college, I shared with Bryan what
God had spoken to my heart. I told him that I thought the Lord wanted to give
us another child.
(Me with my college chums: Brad, Kevin, & Jessica, at my 20 year reunion.)
Bryan was
shocked, to say the least. I probably could have said,
“Hey honey, I think the Lord is calling us to be missionaries to Mars,”
and he would not have been more
surprised. But I shared my heart and wisely left the subject alone. For five
whole weeks, I said nothing more about it. (That is very hard for a woman to do,
btw.) I knew that God would have to speak to my husband himself. I certainly couldn’t
lead him to that spiritual destination. I could hardly believe that I was there
myself.
Meanwhile,
I began to see a child as I prayed. A little boy. I knew that the Lord was
promising us a son.
…And at that sweet place of surrender, I discovered that what I had never wanted, I now wanted more than anything.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment